As part of our mandate to support BC schools working with students with deafblindness in educational settings, POPDB offers in-service and training to our teams. The following is a list of types of professional development that we offer:
- Direct training of support workers
- POPDB created online workshops
- POPDB lead mentoring sessions for Intervenors
- Individualized onsite and online workshops and presentations
- Deafblind Intervention Certificate
- POPDB Annual Conference
- POPDB regularly invites international researchers and educational professionals from the field of deafblindness to present current research and best practices to student teams across BC
Contact your POPDB Teacher-Consultant for more information.
"Just as the individuals we support require time to learn and develop new skills, so do we, the Intervenors. There are those among us that are naturally intuitive to the needs of others. However, to be a truly competent Intervenor requires education, understanding of applied principles, desire, passion, and strong advocacy skills for those who are learning to dance in a world that the music must be discovered." - Kim Amiel, Intervenor
Join POPDB this spring when they host their Annual District Partner Meeting and Conference. Connect with your POPDB teacher for more details.
- Dates: April 15th and 16th, 2024
- Location: Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport
The Provincial Outreach Program for Students with Deafblindness is often asked to do presentations and workshops for staff working with our students with deafblindness. Presentations and workshops are tailored to the individual needs of the team receiving the professional development training. The following is a list of presentations and workshops that POPDB is often asked to prepare for our teams:
- Overview on Deafblindness
- Overview on Intervention
- Classroom presentations
- Functional Routines
- Total Communication Approach
- iPads Ideas for Students with Deafblindness
- Topics as requested and determined in conjunction with the school team
Please contact your POPDB Teacher-Consultant for more information.